Thanks to what Greg called a "tragically good" tryout, Ralph did NOT get another season in Minor A baseball, a Little League division. Instead, he was drafted up with the big boys and into the Majors. I was petrified and I know Ralph's coach sensed my hesitation and unhappiness when he first called. In fact, when I first told Ralph, he was bummed and thought (like I did) that he'd sit on the bench the whole season. Of course, once I told Ralph that he'd be playing on the Giants, he felt much better. Nothing like the home team to lift a boy's spirits.
Happily, Ralph usually starts, plays at least half of each game, and is not at the bottom of the batting order. Coach drafted him for his speed, so when Ralph can get on base, he's always a scoring threat. The other boys and their parents are extremely supportive, too, which makes it fun. In a league with 7th graders (he's in 4th) who double his weight and top him by a foot or more, Ralph's holding his own. What's more, because the coaches have been so positive and such great teachers, Ralph has thrived. Because of his size, it'd be so easy for him to walk every at-bat, but he WANTS to hit. If the pitch is close, he swings and often hits. He doesn't always get on base, but he's not an easy out. Plus, his speed makes him a natural in the outfield. At this level of play, he sees lots of action there. And the Giants are in 2nd place. What more could a kid ask for?
Sunday, May 11, 2008
Ralph's a Giant
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment